Monday, June 30, 2008

thrift


I LOVE to thrift. When I was young and living in Ohio my favorite places to frequent were The Village in Cuyahoga Falls (by far the best!), Goodwill, and The Salvation Army. I love a good deal and I loved the idea of getting a lot more for less. After I moved to Utah I kind of fell out of the thrifting habit, mostly because I did not know where to go, and the only place here... The DI seemed ghetto to me. So for the past 10 years I have just shopped the sale racks at my favorite spots. When I moved in with Ryan a year and a half ago, the easiest way to describe where I live to others was to say "we're in the condos in Centerville right across from the DI." Now that the thrift store is so accessible to me, I have found myself going back to my old thrifting ways, looking for treasures. I mostly buy containers that I turn into really cool vases for fresh flowers, and a few random items here and there. About three weeks ago I was wandering around in the used furniture area and I spotted this really sweet table. I saw so much potential for this 'hunk of junk' and went home to tell Ryan all about it. He never saw it, only heard the description, and that "it is ONLY $35.00!!, can you believe it?" The next day I pulled into the garage after work, and this is what was waiting for me!
The signs said "This is because I love you"

When I walked in the house I was laughing and all excited and he simply said "Babe, that is the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen! You hate gold!"

Little did he know what I had planned for it. Here is my final result. I am quite pleased!

Until my next visit... we'll see what another man's junk turns into for us on round two!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Hannie!! I love it...what a GREAT find!

Raenie said...

It's nice to hear you've reconnected with your thrifting! Once I get a house, I'll be all over it! Love the sideboard table, looks like you cleaned it up really nice...way to go!

Kathleen said...

I wish I had your vision and sense of style. You certainly are spoiled and don't try to deny it!

Natalie Jane said...

Wow. That was the bargin of the year!