Sunday, May 5, 2013

you never know

My dad has 3 siblings.  Two older, my Uncle Dean and Aunt Jean, and then a younger sister, my Aunt Vickie.  My Uncle Dean has been fighting leukemia for a couple years, in and out of treatments, and up and down with the success of his treatments.  A few weeks ago it was determined that his body was no longer able to respond to chemo, and  the decision was made to just keep him comfortable.  I was able to see him on April 21 when he came here to Utah to be at my parents homecoming talk about their mission to Russia.  He was frail and weak, but in good spirits and happy to be with all his siblings, and a large number of other extended family.   Early morning on Sunday April 28, he passed away.  Although it is never easy to say goodbye, there was peace in his passing, and the family was prepared to release him, knowing that he would no longer be suffering.  His funeral was this past Thursday in Boise, and his burial on Friday in Pleasant Grove.  All of his siblings attended the funeral, and then got up early on Friday morning and started the drive to Utah in order to be at the burial at 2 pm.  There was a large group of us at the cemetery, all gathered for our final goodbyes, but for some reason Aunt Jean and Uncle Jim were not there.  No one could understand why.  Just minutes before the graveside memorial began, my Aunt Vickie received a phone call from Aunt Jean's son.  He told her that Aunt Jean and Uncle Jim had been in a roll over car accident on their way to Utah and that Uncle Jim had survived, but Aunt Jean was killed on impact. 
 
In 11 days, I saw life come into this world, and life leave this world.  One expected passing, one shocking and terribly sad passing.  It has been a huge jolt to our family, and something that we have all had to find our own ways to come to peace about.  I know that many times in life, things are not meant to be understood, just accepted.  I have no idea why God decided to take my Aunt Jeanie P from all of us; such an amazing woman with countless admirable qualities, and a love and energy for life that is hard to find in one person.  She truly LIVED life, fully engaged.   I have so many memories of my Aunt, so many happy times shared, and lessons learned from her.  She was such a strength to me during my divorce and after, and I knew I could call her whenever, and she would listen, guide, and help me find clarity.  I find myself everyday in this place of disbelief.  But, then I quickly realize it is for real.  Many times in the past few days, as I have been feeding Dare, I see his sweet little eyes staring up above my head and to the right.  Each time he has done this, there is such a peace in the room, and without fail, the only thought in my head and heart is that he sees his great Auntie Jeanie P.  And he just smiles, stares, and has a look of awe on his little face.  I know she is near.  And time will heal. 
 
Never take anyone for granted.  You just never know...
 
 
 
 
 
 
She loved children.  They were her passion for over 30 years as a pre school teacher.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I am so sorry, Hannie. What a shock. That is a lot of emotion to handle. No wonder you are worn out. May you find peace in the love that surrounds you.