Saturday, September 7, 2013

torticollis

Since the day he was born, we noticed that Dare preferred his left side for turning and sleeping.  But, that is where we left it.  Just a fact.  He likes his left side.  It made his daddy proud, because to him, that meant he'll be a lefty, just like dad. 
About a month ago Chal pointed out to us that Dare has a flat spot on his head that is starting to become more pronounced.  Until she said that, I didn't really pay attention.  He is always in such close proximity to me when I am interacting with him, and loving on him, that it was hard to see, and I  never took notice.  But, after she pointed it out, it became more apparent to me that I needed to have it looked at.  I asked Dr. Paul at his 4 month check-up what he thought I should do about it, and that is when he referred me to the Primary Children's PT clinic in Bountiful. 
Dare's first appointment was on Thursday.  His therapist Megan, took a quick assessment of him, and pretty much immediately told me he has  a "common" diagnosis: Torticollis.  Not so common sounding to me, but I was anxious to know what to do about it.  Apparently, if left without therapy and recognition, it will cause his skull to shift more and more to the right, making his ear, cheek, and eye off center as he further develops.  If not addressed, he could end up having to wear a helmet to correct the problem.  
The assumption is, he was tightly fit into the womb, with not much room to stretch and move, which may have caused him to favor his left side in utero, simply for reasons of comfort, and lack of room.  So, when he was born, his muscles on the left side of his neck, that allow him to move to the right, were tight from the get-go, and now 4 months later, even more so.  In PT, they teach him (and mom) how to do stretches and activities that promote his use of his right side.  It is a hard habit to break, due to the discomfort it causes him when using and stretching those tight muscles. 
Here he is with Megan

 
I am determined to do all I can to help our little guy.  We have been doing lots of activities that involve the use of his right side.  I have to get creative on how to get him to stay in that position for any amount of time, because he DOES NOT like his right side at all. 
 




so tired from therapy


Hopefully it will get easier as time goes on.

No comments: