Sunday, July 19, 2009

baby alex

20 days ago Ryan and I were watching the news and saw the report about a tragic accident that happened earlier that day in Bountiful. A one-year-old little boy's head was crushed under the tires of a big truck and he was in critical condition and rushed to Primary's. Upon hearing the news story my heart sunk. How tragic. I felt sick for the family. They lived in our community.
The next day I called my friend Jason. The reception was horrible. I asked what was up with his phone and he told me that he didn't have great coverage in the hospital. "The hospital?" I asked. "Are you sick? What is going on?" It was then that he told me about his little 18 month old nephew Alex who had been seriously injured the day before when run over by a truck in his driveway. Then the news story hit me even closer to home. Not just some random family in my community, but because of my friendship with Jason, I was connected. My heart sunk even more. It ached. I prayed.
Over the next couple weeks I continued to keep tabs on the little guys condition through his uncle. Every time I talked to Jason, the news was progressively positive. It was a miracle every day. Little feats that baby Alex had overcome, which for some may seem little, but for those involved, were huge.
This past Friday afternoon baby Alex came home. He is going to be fine. His head that was crushed is healing. He is eating. talking. interacting. all those things that just 20 short days ago most would have thought as an impossibility.
This morning in Centerville they honored him. This morning there was a public display of love for baby Alex. Ryan and I went. It was amazing to see community at it's best. They rode for a couple hours in honor of him. In honor of his family. In respect of miracles.
Thank you baby Alex. Although I do not know you, I know someone who loves you dearly. I have felt that love. I have loved you. Thank you for reminding me that we all have armies of angels watching over us, and for letting me see yours in action. .

2 comments:

JenTix said...

I am amazed at what a small world we live in. Thank you so much telling this story. My heart goes out to Alex and everyone who loves him!

Lauren Ricci said...

What an amazing story. Thanks for sharing, I got chills reading it.