Saturday, September 19, 2009

colors of life

The Sharing Place Experience: "I think it is critical to have a program for children who have lost a parent to be with other children who know and understand what they are going through. It is a blessing to have The Sharing Place. It would be a great loss not to have this as an out for teens. If it could help one child then it is worth its weight in gold." C.H.
The Sharing Place is dedicated to providing a safe and caring environment where children, teens, and their families who are grieving the death of a loved one may share their feelings while healing themselves.
18 September 2009
We walked into the foyer of 'The Colors of Life Benefit' and after being greeted we walked past this wall of hearts:
posted on the other side of these partitions were the following:The Sharing Place was first introduced to me by Lauren. When she was 15 her dad killed himself. I remember very vividly when she told me. She acted so nonchalantly, like it was no big deal. "It's OK Hannie, really, I am fine." I went home that night knowing that she was not fine. With the wonderful support and help of The Sharing Place, Lauren has grown so much and developed into a beautiful person. She is in a place today that I know she would not be if she hadn't let herself grieve. If she hadn't been taught how to grieve, and that it is OK to process through it. Last night she spoke of her journey. I cried. I was so happy and so touched. Click for her story. Here she is with her amazing mom Sally.
When Stan died, although Carmen already had heard of The Sharing Place, I along with another friend of hers, was so adamant that she get her kids involved there. It has been a god send for her and her three boys. I was talking to Raenie (my little sis) yesterday and we both were in agreement that although we have not benefited first hand from the service of The Sharing Place (thank goodness we have not had reason to!), we feel so indebted to the staff there and to the organization. Without the help that they have provided for Carmen and her family, as extended family, we would feel a loss. We would feel a bigger burden to help them heal, yet not really having the tools to do so. We collectively as a family thank those who work and volunteer there for helping lift such a heavy burden of loss from them and from us, and for helping her boys make sense of it all.
Last night was another refresher course for both myself and for Ryan on gratitude. We have so much! How easy it is for us to forget that.
There was a silent auction. Ryan was in a bidding war over this driver. He lost it by ten bucks! Dang!
There were so many auction items and very generous monetary donations. Very cool to witness. Thank you to my friends and family who gave so graciously and allowed me to pass on your generosity last night. To be there and see, feel, and hear first hand how many lives have been changed and touched by The Sharing Place... well, it was overwhelming.

We are so glad we could take part.

The End.

2 comments:

Nick and Blaire said...

I did some volunteer work for The Sharing Place and helped them repaint a few rooms last summer. I thought it was such a wonderful program and how amazing it is that these sweet kids have somewhere to go to feel safe and loved! How sweet of you to go and support your friend!

Lauren Ricci said...

Thanks Hannie, not only for your post but for your generosity over the years and for being there to support not only me but The Sharing place. I love you and am so blessed to have you in my life. I remember when I told you and at that time I really didn't know how devastated I truly was. Your friendship also helped me out of the dark hole I was in and I wouldn't be me without you.

Loves you!